- This event has passed.
Shoeboxes of Joy
November 21 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
The Mirrormont Community Association is excited to once again participate in the annual Shoeboxes of Joy program!
*PLEASE NOTE: Catholic Community Services is serving as a portal for human service outreach and shoebox distribution; there is no religious affiliation related to this charitable endeavor.
Sponsored by Catholic Community Services of Western Washington, Volunteer Services delivers shoebox gift packages to elderly and disabled members of our community who may be isolated from family and friends during the holiday season. By giving a few hours of your time to create Shoeboxes of Joy filled with treats, you give a gift of caring and holiday cheer. Many of those receiving the gift boxes live alone with no family or friends nearby and may not receive any other gift. Having a volunteer come to their door to make that special delivery means the world to the recipient.
This year, due to Covid-19 restrictions, we are unable to hold our annual wrapping and stuffing party. We are asking neighbors to sign up to wrap and stuff a shoebox at home, and drop it off at the country club on November 21. PLEASE SEE COVID-19 HEALTH GUIDELINES UNDER ITEM 2, BELOW
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Use our SignUp Genius site to sign up to wrap a shoebox (lid and box wrapped separately – how-to video is here) and stuff it full of goodies.
- Follow these Covid-19 health guidelines while wrapping and stuffing shoeboxes:
- Thoroughly wash your hands and wear gloves and masks when putting together the care packages.
- Plastic tubs or photo boxes can be used instead of shoeboxes in order to easily sanitize. This also allows recipients to reuse the plastic tubs for storage and organization.
- Whenever possible, please wipe down items with sanitizing wipes before placing them in the container.
- Not sure what to put in a shoebox/container? Grocery store gift cards (Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.), easy to use, light-weight cleaning tools such as Swifter dusters and refills, dish towels, reachers/grabbers, non-perishable food (soup, individual coffee/tea, etc.), non-scented lotion, gloves and scarves, stationery, stamps etc., are all welcome gifts. Due to varied dietary needs, please No candy or other sweets.
- Drop off your wrapped and stuffed shoebox(es) at the Mirrormont Country Club (25500 SE Mirrormont Dr.) on SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21, between 12pm – 3pm.
Thanks in advance for participating in this worthwhile event!
For more information about the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.